Imagine how awesome it would be if your car could magically “heal” itself. A scratch from a tree branch or a ding on the door would vanish within several short minutes, leaving your vehicle looking perfect and pristine. With self-healing paint protection film (PPF), this fantasy becomes reality.
But what is self-healing paint protection film and how does it work? The industry experts at American Wrap Co. are here to answer all of your questions.
What is Self-Healing Paint Protection Film?
Paint protection film is a thin, flexible, and transparent protective covering that is applied over a vehicle’s paint. It acts as a barrier between your car’s fragile paint and outside elements, protecting it from dings, dents, scratches, and even UV rays.
Some paint protection films, such as XPEL, have self-healing properties that allow the PPF to literally “heal” itself. The film’s multiple layers cohesively work together to protect a vehicle’s paint and “heal” surface-level damage when coming into contact with heat. These layers include:
• A 3mm-thick release liner
• A 1.6mm-thick acrylic adhesive that strongly bonds to your car’s curves
• A 6mm polyurethane layer that prevents paint chips by evenly dissipating energy across a wider surface
• A clear coat layer that protect your vehicle’s paint from the outside world, including pollen, dust, and road grime
Now that you know what self-healing paint protection film is, let’s explore how this amazing product actually works.
How Does It Work?
While many folks believe that self-healing paint protection film is magical when first seeing its extraordinary healing properties in action, it’s actually just science. Self-healing PPF doesn’t actually remove dents and scratches from the paint. Instead, it works by:
• Effectively protecting the paint from getting damaged by providing a thick, scratch-resistant polyurethane coating
• Protecting the paint from fading, stains, and yellowing thanks to the clear coat
• Enabling the underlying layers to “rearrange” their particles when heat is applied to dissipate a scratch
When self-healing paint protection film comes into contact with heat, it will return to its lowest energy state, appearing to be smooth and seamless. Think of self-healing PPF like an ice cube. If you scratch an ice cube with your fingernail and then heat it up, the ice cube will return to its original state once again. Similarly, self-healing PPF will “heal” any dings or surface-level scratches if you wash it with warm water or leave your car out under the sun.
Benefits of Self-Healing PPF
Some benefits of applying self-healing paint protection film to your car include:
• Superior paint protection
• Boosting your car’s resale value
• Avoiding the hassle of a new paint job
If you want to discover the perks of self-healing paint protection film, call American Wrap Co. today. Our friendly and knowledgeable experts will gladly answer all of your questions or concerns and work closely with you to see if self-healing PPF is the right choice for your needs.
To learn more, contact American Wrap Co. today by calling 661-878-5587. We look forward to hearing from you soon!
Latest posts by Tyler O'Hara (see all)